- This event has passed.
November DataDive weekend
November 19, 2022 - November 20, 2022
We are delighted to invite you to take part in a DataDive weekend from Saturday 19 to Sunday 20 November in London!
We would be thrilled to have you spend the weekend donating your time, skills and energy to help this fantastic data for good project.
DataKind UK is a charity that solves tough social challenges through data science. We help social sector organisations benefit from advances in data science so they can make better decisions and have greater social impact.
For this DataDive project, we’re partnering with Inclusion Labs.
About the organisation
Inclusion Labs work in partnership with schools, to empower them to be active and accountable in creating an inclusive community for every pupil.
They believe every young person must be able to thrive in the present in order to shape their future. Their initiatives focus on the power of collaboration to create a world that is inclusive and fair for all young people.
About the weekend
Welcome! Here is all the information you need about our autumn 2022 DataDive weekend. If this sounds like the event for you, please enter our ticket ballot below by 24 October. We will contact you to confirm if you have been successful in getting a spot by 31 October. After that, remaining applicants will be put on a waitlist and may be assigned a spot if we get cancellations.
Please read the schedule carefully so that you understand how things will operate during the weekend. As always, please let us know if you have any questions.
Remember, you need to bring your own hardware (laptop and charger) and software, your data skills, and the belief that you can help change the world for the better.
You can choose from one of four ticket categories to best represent your skills. We are looking for data people with a mix of skills, in particular including some with experience of basic text analysis, data visualisation, statistics, descriptive analytics, and experience with survey data/design.
- Data Scientist – you rock statistical analysis and predictive analytics, are comfortable using R, Python, Matlab, or other common data analysis tools
- Data Viz Whizz – you can whip up a pretty visualisation in no time and bring the wow factor to everything you do
- Developer – you are comfortable coding in various languages and can build things that machines can use to get things done
- Data Enthusiast – the idea of data gets you hot and bothered, but you’re still sharpening your skill set
Things to know for the weekend
- You must be over 18 to participate in a DataDive weekend. You may be asked to show ID to prove your age
- You must not attend if you have any Covid OR cold-like symptoms, a positive Covid test, or recent exposure to someone who has subsequently tested positive for Covid
- This will be an indoor event – wearing a face covering is not mandatory but please wear one if you would like to
- We will provide breakfast, lunch, and dinner on Saturday, and breakfast and lunch on Sunday. We’ll do our best to accommodate any dietary requirements, but you must inform us of these in advance
- It will be HUGELY helpful to us if you bring your own reusable water bottle and coffee cup to use over the weekend – we will have some access to glasses or mugs but please help us avoid too much washing up!
- The venue is wheelchair accessible – if possible, please let us know in advance
- There is no prep work required before the DataDive weekend, and you will not have access to any data ahead of the event. However you may wish to research the partner organisation to understand more about their mission and their work
- We do not provide any hardware or software for you to use. We’ll have the data and some services set up (GDrive, Github), but otherwise you should bring your own laptop and come ready to use whatever data tools you like
- You do not have to bring a copy of your ticket, but you must give the name you registered with. Anyone who has not pre-registered will not be able to attend